Getting your baby’s haircut for the first time can be challenging. It’s hard for parents to decide when and where to go?
I have put together a list of things I’ve learned over the last few months that help me as a first time Mum with getting Jake’s haircut.
When is the best time to make appointment?
Every toddler is different and every child has a different routine. I found with Jake, the best time for him was straight after breakfast between 10am- 11.30am.
He’s happy as he just been fed, changed and not sleepy so there is less chance of him getting cranky and throwing a tantrum.
What to bring with you?
Distractions are key to keeping baby entertained as we all know. I’d recommenced having snacks such as rice cakes, nothing to messy. Baby wipes and maybe baby’s favourite toy at the ready are also great to have on hand.
How much will it cost?
I have noticed that prices vary between salons regarding children’s haircuts, after a little research I’ve looked at prices in Dublin and seen a price range between €10- €25, so its worth while ringing ahead before hand to check.
Ask friends and family for recommendations, it’s also good to factor in travel costs too.
Hair Salon or Barbers?
Personally, I haven’t brought Jake to a barbers yet, as I prefer to bring him to where I get my own hair done.
- I am happy with how they do my hair so I trust them with Jake’s haircut.
- The lady who cuts my hair is a mother herself and she knows how stressful it can be for both parent and child.
- It’s my local salon close to where I live so we don’t have to travel far.
- It’s competitively priced at €10 and I am also happy with how it turns out.
- Jake is comfortable there and never kicks up to much of a fuss
Should I ask for a locket of hair?
YES!!! I would 100% ask for a locket of hair especially if its your child’s first ever haircut. It’s a lovely keepsake for the memory box. I asked for a locket of Jake’s curls when I brought Jake to the hairdressers for the first time.
Checklist for baby’s first visit
- Pick a good time
- Bring snacks and toys
- Research prices and factor in travel time
- Consider your own hair salon
- Ask for keepsake
Did we leave anything out? If you have any tips or tricks you would like to share with us please get in touch we would love to hear from you.